Advanced Classes are the different routes you can take in each class in Star Wars: The Old Republic. Each increases your effectiveness in the roles that class is able to fill in the game.
Each class has two advanced classes; at Level 10, on the capital world of the players faction (Coruscant for the Republic and Dromund Kaas for the Empire) or on the faction's fleet (Imperial Fleet or the Republic Fleet), you will choose your path. Each advanced class has two skill trees specific to that class, as well as a third skill tree shared with the other class.
In addition to skill sets, your Advanced Class selection provides access to specialized types of equipment (ex: armor, gadgets, heavy weapons, and different lightsaber types). Not only will these items increase combat effectiveness, they will also help create a visual 'signature' for your character.
Galactic Republic Advanced Classes
- Jedi Guardian Roles: Melee Damage Dealing, Tanking (Single Saber)
- Jedi Sentinel Roles: Melee Damage Dealing (Dual Wield Sabers)
- Jedi Shadow Roles: Melee/Mid Range Damage Dealing, Tanking (Double-bladed Lightsaber, Stealth)
- Jedi Sage Roles: Mid/Long Range Damage Dealing, Healing, Lover
- Scoundrel Roles: Healing, Melee/Mid Range Damage Dealing (Scatter Gun Wielding, Stealth)
- Gunslinger Roles: Mid/Long Range Damage Dealing (Wields Dual Pistols, Cover)
- Vanguard Roles: Melee/Mid Range Damage Dealing, Tanking (Blaster Rifle)
- Commando Roles: Mid/Long Range Damage Dealing, Healing (Wields Assault Cannon)
Sith Empire Advanced Classes
- Juggernaut Roles: Close Range Damage Dealing, Tanking (Single Saber)
- Marauder Roles: Close Range Damage Dealing (Dual Wielding Sabers, In-Combat Temporary Stealth)
- Sith Assassin Roles: Melee/Mid Range Damage Dealing, Tanking (Double-bladed lightsaber, Stealth)
- Sith Sorcerer Roles: Mid/Long Range Damage Dealing, Healing
- Operative Roles: Close-Mid Range Damage Dealing, Healing (Energy Blade/Rifle Wielding, Stealth)
- Sniper Roles: Mid-Long Range Damage Dealing (Rifle Wielding, Cover)
- Powertech Roles: Close-Mid Range Damage Dealing, Tanking
- Mercenary Roles: Mid-Long Range Damage Dealing, Healing
Source file: File:Advanced Classes and Roles.ods
This advanced class system is coined to be the first "specialization" system where all the starter classes' abilities can be used throughout the game, instead of some abilities just being thrown aside.