|Chronological and political information|
- "Once a loyal servant of the Sith Lord Tulak Hord, Khem Val was placed in a stasis chamber in the tomb of Naga Sadow centuries ago by his master for safekeeping. Tulak Hord is long dead, but Khem Val lives on; a terrifying nightmare from the ancient past. Powerful, cunning and ruthless enough to slay even the strongest Force users, Khem Val was trained as an elite assassin. After emerging from his long slumber, the Dashade is the very embodiment of death and destruction; a reminder that there are things even Sith and Jedi must fear. Although once pledged to a life of service, with his original master gone, it is uncertain where Khem Val’s true loyalties now lie. A near-perfect killing machine, he could prove a valuable weapon for anyone willing to take him on… though he is a weapon that can cut both ways."
- ―In-game Codex (Persons of Note)
Khem Val is the Dashade companion of the Sith Inquisitor. Khem Val was a loyal servant of the Sith Lord Tulak Hord and during their time together Khem Val devoured over a thousand Jedi. Khem Val was found in and released from a stasis field by the future Lord Kallig/Darth Nox; upon hearing that Tulak Hord was long dead he became enraged and attacked the inquisitor. Weakened from the thousand years spent in the stasis field he was beaten by the young inquisitor and was bound to serve him.
Centuries ago, Khem Val was the proud servant of Tulak Hord, one of the greatest Dark Lords of the Sith to ever live. His people, the Dashade, thrived. A powerful species of Force-resistant killers, they drew strength from feeding on Jedi and Sith alike. Khem Val was called Shadow Killer and Devourer. As his master conquered, he feasted, and the unusual bond between the Sith Lord and the Shadow Killer grew stronger.
But that was centuries ago. The Dashade have all but disappeared from the galaxy, and the details of Khem Val’s legend have faded to formless, creeping fear. Deep in the tomb of Naga Sadow on Korriban, Khem Val sleeps, suspended in a stasis field guarded by crackling electric energy. No one knows how he got there, or how to wake him. Even the greatest Sith Lords do not dare try. For when he wakes, he is sure to be hungry….
In Tulak Hord's service he devoured over a thousand Jedi and the more his master conquered, the more he feasted and an unusual bond formed between the Sith Lord and the Shadow Killer. However centuries passed and the story of Khem Val became a mere legend. Later, during the Cold War, he was found suspended in a stasis field inside the tomb of Naga Sadow on Korriban guarded by a field of electrical energy where even the most powerful Sith Lords would not try to free him. He was eventually freed by a Sith Acolyte who was ordered to by Lord Zash. When freed, he was enraged to learn that Hord was dead, and set to kill the acolyte. But in his weakened state he was defeated and had no choice but to serve the acolyte and claimed he would regain his strength eventually.
- For information on this subject beyond The Old Republic, see: Khem Val on Wookieepedia
At first, Khem Val viewed the Inquisitor and the current Sith as unworthy of continuing Tulak Hord's legacy, and vowed to devour him or her when his powers returned. As time goes on, Khem begins to respect the Inquisitor and later admits that his opinion of them was wrong.
Lord Zash's Consciousness
As a result of the ritual Lord Zash attempted to perform, to transport her consciousness into a young body, she instead transfers into Khem Val. This leads to a continual conflict where Khem Val has to suppress Lord Zash's control over his body. Periodically in companion discussions with Khem Val, Lord Zash will exert her will and speak. Its clear when this happens as the otherwise gruff Dashade voice will be replaced by Lord Zash's. Typically you will see Khem Val give a strong shrug or shake as he re-exerts his will.
Khem Val, as your companion, has a natural bonus for certain crafting / gathering talents.
I have nothing to say to you little sith.
When your enemies meet death it will be my face that will greet them.
I serve... For now.
My blade grows thirsty
The galaxy will once again fear the conqueror of yn and chabosh
- Shadow Killer (Tank Stance)
- Lightning Punch
- Guardian Strike
- Consume Essence
- Challenge (AOE Taunt)
- Bear Pain
- Combat Stance (DPS Stance)