- "Offensive Systems: Blaster cannons are the primary weapon system of most starships, and can be fired continuously. However, targets equipped with ray shielding cannot be damaged by blaster fire–these targets pulse blue when hit. Secondary weapons must be used against such targets. Missile launchers are a common secondary weapon system. Missile targets can be designated (or “painted”) by a ship’s target lock-on system, allowing multiple missiles to be fired at different targets simultaneously. With enough investment, it is possible to equip starships with powerful proton torpedo launchers.
Defensive Systems: Shields are a ship’s first line of defense against damage. When upgraded with a regenerator, shields gradually repair themselves over time as long as the SHIP’S BLASTER CANNONS AREN’T FIRING. Ion cannon blasts–identifiable by their distinctive blue energy trails–can temporarily disable shield systems on impact, so it is critical to avoid them."
- ―In-game Codex (Game Rules)
Space Combat is a game system that allows players to enjoy space battles like in the Star Wars movies. It's a minigame that is accessible via the Galaxy Map and is there for players who want to do something different than battling on the ground.
Following the end of the Great Galactic War, Space Battles between the Republic and Sith Empire and various third parties continued across the galaxy despite the Treaty of Coruscant. In addition, there are missions available that involve the completion of several space battles. These missions occasionally provide upgrades for the ship.
Space Combat missions can be faction-based scenarios or more independent encounters. Amid the large-scale space battles between the Republic and Empire, the objective may be to destroy an enemy battle cruiser. In areas where space travel is particularly risky, the goal may be escort a friendly shuttle to safety.
In Space Combat, the player controls his/her ship in a linear fashion through the whole battle. This game approach is sometimes called a "tube shooter" or "rail shooter." Gameplay setup starts the player's ship at the beginning of the scenario, moving directly towards the objective. The player must maneuver the ship through obstacles and destroy enemies as they intersect this track. Mission difficulty and complexity will escalate with the player's level advancement, and the stakes will also increase. A player will be able to upgrade his/her ship with new weapons, armor, shields, etc. These upgrades are only for Space Combat and are not visible in the core game; however, other rewards from Space Combat may be useful for other aspects of the game.
List of Space Battles
The space battles available are listed below. The fuel cost (credits) for each mission changes depending on where the player currently is. The number of Commendations represent the award given after completion.
|Saleucami Fleet Action||12||330||4:31||1|
|Cartel Listening Station||12||330||6:28||1|
|Nez Peron Sweep||20||645||4:00||1|
|Mugaar Ice Field||34||2227||4:33||3|
|Clouds of Vondoru||44||4020||4:33||5|
|Javaal Fleet Action||12||330||N/A||1|
|Makem Te Assault||20||645||N/A||1|
|Llanic Station Strike||28||1413||N/A||1|
|Kovor Ice Field||34||2227||N/A||3|
|Hydian Way Blockade||40||3247||N/A||3|
Space Combat Missions
Space combat can be fought in space battle zones, either by simply flying there, or in the context of space combat missions (which consist of fighting one or more space battles, with additional payout for completing all of them). The rewards for completing either are credits, space combat commendations, and experience points.
Operation Midnight Freedom
-  Space Combat: Fondor Escort
Operation Searing Light
-  Space Combat: Javaal Fleet Action
-  Space Combat: Balosar Outpost
Operation Noble Gambit
-  Space Combat: Archenar Interception
-  Space Combat: Makem Te Assault
Operation Ardent Wave
-  Space Combat: Syvris Evacuation
-  Space Combat: Llanic Station Strike (Hard version of Balosar Outpost)
Operation Glory Cyclone
-  Space Combat: Pakuuni Defense
-  Space Combat: Kovor Ice Field (Hard version of Javaal Fleet Action)
Operation Sunder Zero
-  Space Combat: Hydian Way Blockade
-  Space Combat: Drexel Sweep (Hard version of Archenar Interception)
Operation Grand Nova
-  Space Combat: Kalee Fortification (Hard version of Pakuuni Defense)
-  Space Combat: Zosha Advance (Hard version of Makem Te Assault)
Operation New Eclipse
-  Space Combat: Impossible Sector (Hard version of Hydian Way Blockade)
Operation Silent Roar
-  Space Combat: Jabiim Escort
Operation Echo Quake
-  Space Combat: Cartel Listening Station
-  Space Combat: Saleucami Fleet Action
Operation Eternal Domain
-  Space Combat: Nez Peron Sweep
-  Space Combat: Sarapin Assault
Operation Molten Splinter
-  Space Combat: Taspan Ambush
-  Space Combat: Ezran Outpost (Hard version of Cartel Listening Station)
Operation Rising Fury
-  Space Combat: Skaross Fortification
-  Space Combat: Mugaar Ice Field (Hard version of Saleucami Fleet Action)
Operation Sweeping Menace
-  Space Combat: Polith Minefield
-  Space Combat: Sullust Interception (Hard version of Nez Peron Sweep)
Operation Raging Dawn
-  Space Combat: Aeten Defense (Hard version of Skaross Fortification)
-  Space Combat: Clouds of Vondoru (Hard version of Sarapin Assault)
-  Space Combat: Ascendancy Barrier (Hard version of Polith Minefield)
Operation Ascendant Pride  Space Combat: Ascendancy Barrier (Hard version of Polith Minefield)
Space Combat Gameplay
- Move your mouse to steer your starship.
- Left-click the mouse to fire blasters. You can hold down for continuous fire, however, while firing your shields do not regenerate.
- Right-click the mouse to fire torpedoes. You can hold down the right mouse button and swipe across up to 4 targets to multi-select targets for your torpedoes. You will see the color of the targets focus indicator change when they are selected, then release the mouse button to fire the torpedoes.
You can earn achievements and titles from participating in space combat. You earn Flyboy or Flygirl, depending on character gender, from participating in your first space combat mission. For others see Space Combat Titles.