If your guld has done something that changes the game and is really important--184.108.40.206 19:51, February 10, 2010 (UTC)
Many SWTOR Wikis
I like the philosophy of wikipedia, having two star wars TOR wikis looks unproductive to me.
One will get more popular and the other will slowly die off, in the meantime people add content that might get lost.
Wouldn't it be better to merge the two wikis? Of course we'd need full cooperation of the ones that made/run/own the 2 wikis, I hope one or both are willing to give something up for the greater good.
If needed I can do some merging work.
Fei-Ke 11:20, June 9, 2010 (UTC)
- It is unfortunate I know. The only way of merging them is by moving everything from the other wiki to this one. Once the game comes out this will be the only wiki that will be able to take the amount of users that would start editing. The Private Pokemon wiki Bulbapedia has proved this as it is constantly uneditable and very slow because the server can't take the stress. There are far more benifits from using this one than the others, mainly because it is part of a far larger community, the same as Wookiepedia its self.
- If they can be persuaded I would be willing to give the Admin from the other wiki "adminship" over here. Nether me or any other Admin on this wiki own it, unlike the other ones. So if you could that will be good. Alexsau1991 (Talk page) 20px 15:16, June 9, 2010 (UTC)
- Usually, after some time, even when there are several wikis on a given topic, one of them becomes *the* wiki for it. As someone affiliated with Wikia, I'm not entirely without bias, but I believe that swtor.wikia.com has the most potential in the long run.
- The main reason for it is that it is hosted on the same network as several other major (and relevant) comunities: Wookieepedia (the Star Wars wiki), as well as all major wikis for other recent BioWare games: Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Jade Empire and Neverwinter Nights. And yes, Wikia is more likely to be able to handle the load that will definitely come when the game is out.
- So, while both are not that active for now and are both pretty good at coverage of the game so far, ours will have the advantage of people from other related wikis coming in, since they're more likely to help out with a wiki on the same network where they don't need to register another account etc. If someone running one of the other wikis were willing to merge, we'd gladly make him one of the admins here as well. Ausir(talk) 09:00, July 1, 2010 (UTC)
- I'm going to stick with this wiki because I posted about the same as above on the other wiki and got a - in my opinion too much of a - defensive response.Fei-Ke 15:35, July 1, 2010 (UTC)
I know that this is going to be a controversial decision but it is one that needs to be made. I believe that guild pages have no place here. Guild's are constantly changing and no individual guild has any real affect on the game itself. When the game gets released I am sure that this wiki will soon be cluttered with thousands of guilds, that simply can not be edited by anyone but those in the guild. The expense of that will be an extremely unmanageable wiki. This wiki is a comprehensive database for The Old Republic and should remain so. If user-created material such as guilds is allowed on this wiki, then so should characters, and even fan-fiction. The wiki should be limited to factual information in the game's universe. With all of that in mind, I move for guilds to be removed from this wiki permanently. Patricklent 17:25, June 27, 2010 (UTC)
- What's the point of deleting them? Adding guild pages to the wiki is boosting awareness of the wiki among fans, even if they're not adding anything to actual articles for now, and helps it compete with the other SWTOR wikis out there, which also have guild pages and may thus be more attractive to guild members if we remove them. And maybe at least some of the users who start by adding a guild page will also end up editing actual content. Also, guilds have a separate namespace, and unlike with fan fiction there's little risk of anyone confusing it with official info. Just treat guild namespace as something more akin to user namespace than to the main article namespace. As for player characters, user pages are the best place to put them. Ausir(talk) 16:05, June 30, 2010 (UTC)
- Patrick is right but in my opinion only from a very purist point of view, I agree with Ausir in that we sure could use some extra functionality like this. The guild info doesn't hurt the other more solid/static info and the only entry to it is clearly marked "Guilds". I added some subcategories to the Guilds page and made one named Guild Stubs, we can use that so that guild related stubs won't show up along with the other article stubs. We can add region specific subcategories once we know what kind of servers there will be, putting that in now would create an unneeded mess in my opinion. p.s. used wowwiki: Guilds as an example Fei-Ke 15:30, July 1, 2010 (UTC)
Hi, I just noticed that the mainpage doesn't layout nicely if one has narrow browser window enough because of the images (especially Species, Classes, Planets -row), this with monobook only ofcourse. To see what I'm talking about, go mainpage with monobook and keep narrowing the browser window until right-side panel and the images overlap. I'm inquiring if there's any interest to work around of that so small (laptop) displays wouldn't encounter this, and if yes, possibly offering some help. –Tm_T (Talk) 13:49, January 5, 2011 (UTC)
- Any ideas on how to fix it? Ausir(talk) 14:10, January 5, 2011 (UTC)
- I think this is because the internet explorer does not support HTML 5 and the new CSS tags.--Icemoomoo 15:40, December 6, 2011 (UTC)
How'd you guys get that transparent background thing? Cool! Please I'd like to know. I won't steal your idea or anything it's just cool. --Anr0328
Release in the future...ever?
When the heck can we finally generate characters and actually PLAY the friggen game? We've been waiting YEARS, and lets face it, considering the problems with the last game, I must say my enthusiasm is beginning to wane.
Maybe some worlds can be made available right away and more can be added as they are developed; you know, a way to generate MONEY for the company while at the same time allowing the game designers to do thier jobs completely.
HelenaHanbazkt 20:24, April 15, 2011 (UTC)HelenaHanbazkt
Not exactly the place for this..try the forums...anyway...i am still as excitied for this as i was last summer when i first heard about this game. I am probably more exicited now that i have the immense number of options that are availble for gameplay...deep healing spec and still being able solo effectively is something that is unheard of to me in any other mmo...that being said i can't wait for this game...but i geuss i kinda have to...Scimatt16 02:14, April 16, 2011 (UTC)
Also, the friday fan update was related to polishing...normally if you are polishing something then you are almost done...which means that the game is nearing completetion and soon all our jobs, here at this wikia will become much more challenging...i am kinda hoping that they release it in august so that way i can actually focus on the game and this wikia. Scimatt16 16:15, April 17, 2011 (UTC)
Table of abilities on class pages
Looked over all the pages for the specific classes and all of them have a huge table over all the skills, it's the same on all the pages, is this intended and not subject to change because in my opinion it looks really cluttery and is annoying to read.
A better solution, in my opinion, that will work better for the future aswell would be to have the image of the icon and/or the name of the ability which is a link to the page of that ability.
Reedyn 19:34, June 11, 2011 (UTC)
- It was myself that uploaded all the tables of abilities and scimatt16 who did some of the linking for me.
- I put it on the page in a table so people could see wht skills came in what order, yes its a lot of information but I've seen far more than that on wikia sites before. If you want to relocate all 24 tables to new pages then feel free. But I don't think it looks that bad Wdkx 15:16, June 26, 2011 (UTC)
- For now, the current tables are fine. Once we have access to the game, and as such a much larger, complete lis of skills and abilities, we'll develop a sub-article specific to each class for such information. -- Heaven's Agent 15:35, June 26, 2011 (UTC)
A true successor to KOTOR, or WoW with a Star Wars paint job?
As far as I've heard from like minded people who saw SWTOR at E3 that consider all the effort to make WoW clones instead of coming up with any new or good ideas for MMORPGS (or even MMOs foer that matter in general) stupid, SWTOR seems to sound like Bioware said "Hey, KOTOR was cool, and people would like to play KOTOR together/online, but let's make a WoW clone instead and disregard the idea of making a true multiplayer, or MMO KOTOR".
It seems to me developers are showing less and less interest in doing anything new and making anything that can beat WoW as far as MMOs go (the same goes for devs that a220.127.116.11 00:41, July 1, 2011 (UTC)re recycling old FPS material and such in other genres) and are instead just doing the:
1. Make yet ANOTHER Wow Clone
2. Put new paint on(be it Star Wars, 40K, etc).
4. PROFIT! i cloned your mum
I can't be the only one who is feeling pretty iffy about this... I mean just look at how they were going to make a WoW clone for Halo even! Because that is the best way I can see of taking Halo into the MMO world! DERP.
I mean Wow wasn't even THAT impressive, especially to someone who'd tried their fair share of MMORPGs before it (namely Everquest 1). WoW was simply Blizzard going "Let's take the good stuff from EQ and other MMORPGS, put a Warcraft paint job on it because people love the franchise, and call it a day on doing anything truly innovative... hell let's even make our great looking and adult feeling cut scenes then let Disney do the artwork for in game", Yet people fall for it faster than a Peter Molyneux press conference because people buy into marketing and popular franchises regardless of content. No one seems to even be talking about how we can probably thank that same mentality for the HUGE wait on Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, etc and the fact Starcraft 2 came out being just a slightly improved version of Starcraft as far as the campaign goes, some new units, and a new paint job. Not only that but the game destroyed the possibility of another true Warcraft game since the story has been butchered for the sake of expansion packs to keep people playing at max level for a few more years. I may be a little off topic here but it IS relevant to how the industry is being treated with games that just copy WoW.
So SWTOR isn't out yet, and I can't say for sure if there won't be more to it, but I've heard some things that make me considerably less excited for it, and I'm wondering if I'm the only one who sees through the marketing and use of popular franchise and thinks World of Star Wars isn't as cool an idea or worth a subscription fee as a true, and faithful to the gameplay that made it enjoyable, KOTOR online would have been.
Someone who has been craving a KOTOR 3 as much as anyone.
18.104.22.168 00:41, July 1, 2011 (UTC)
- This space is their for discussing the article not for discussing the game. TOR is by no means a WOW clone, those who suggest it do so out of naivety, and a lack of understanding. It isn't KotOR 3, but it is the series. If you want to discuss this do so on a blog, not here. Alexsau1991 (talk page) 20px 22:15, July 1, 2011 (UTC)
- Can't it be both? Many of the systems seen in the Kotor games were just precursors to what we see as commonplace in many MMOs today. And many beta testers have said the gameplay is a wow knockoff with kickin story. People on compare it to wow cause thats the common language we all share now. I personally dont think either of these points as a bad thing, wow was great fun, and so was kotor.
Quests and Datacron locations
Where should Quests and Holcron locations go? Should they go on the page of the planet that they take place on or will there be another category created for them? M.A.X. 02:48, November 21, 2011 (UTC)
- i am a little confused about what you are asking. Do u want to know where the links for missions go or do u want to know where the locations of the missions go? Scimatt16 03:26, November 21, 2011 (UTC)
- I'm sorry for any confusion. I am trying to determine where the listings of quests/missions (links to the pages that include the quests/missions) should be placed on this wiki. Such as, should quests/missions that take place (or start) on Coruscant be listed on the Coruscant page? In addtion, does anyone have a recommendation to where should the location of each Datacron (I incorrectly called it a holocron) be listed? M.A.X. 13:27, November 21, 2011 (UTC)
- No worries about the confusion, it is the norm of a wiki. In theory the links to missions should be on the pages of story missions which should be found on the "Class" Story Mission page (see the one for smuggler here. I do think that categories should be added like "Coruscant Missions" for all the Missions on Coruscant. Feel free to add the missions and then I can assist you with linking them and creating the appropriate categories. Scimatt16 15:35, November 21, 2011 (UTC)
- Well, thats true. But as a wiki, we ideally would like to have the information here and not require someone to go to another site for the information. To that end, useful Youtube videos can be embedded here. Currently, the Datacron Locations article links to video guides for the Datacrons for each planet. It would be good to convert those to embedded youtube videos, instead of links. The link to the youtube datacrons guide channel at the top of the article should be moved to the bottom, listed as an external resource/link. An easy cleanup someone might take on if they have time.
TROOPER OP OR UP?
i wonder is the trooper op or up because in swg everyone QQED in pvp sayin the commando was op so i wud like some advice if it is or not
- First of all, SWG is fundamentally different from SW:TOR. I never really did get into SWG much, but the OP/UP factor of a class in SW:TOR is completely dependent on the player skill/skill build because of the way the classes are balanced. Scimatt16 02:40, December 7, 2011 (UTC)
Edit the feature page of today about Satele Shan as it says;
Satele Shan is a Human female Jedi Knight and the Grand Master of the Jedi Order. She is a direct descendant of Bastila Shan and her Jedi Master, Dar'Nala, believed that she possessed a "gift" similar to that of her ancestor. It is also said by the Sith that she may have been Revan's descendant.
and change it to how the page is now;
Satele Shan is a Human female Jedi Master and the youngest Jedi to ever become Grand Master of the Jedi Order. She was born on Brentaal and is a direct descendant of the legendary Jedi Knights Bastila Shan and Revan. Jedi Master Dar'Nala believed that she possessed a "gift" similar to that of her ancestor.
Thank you. Senjuto 13:52, December 21, 2011 (UTC)
Patch Notes / News
Does anyone have time to add maintainance down times and patch notes to the news? Just seems like thats relevent info to have and the news section is very stale. Just a thought.
- I was thinking about adding the patch notes but I had no idea how I would incorporate it in to the wiki. I was thinking about making a section in the nav bar, but putting it in news also sounds good to me. Please make sure to sign your talk page posts with 4 tildes ~~~~. Scimatt16 21:02, January 4, 2012 (UTC)
Where to start helping?
Is there a page on the wik somewhere that has a list of what pages need to be made/worked on? I want to contribute, but don't know where to start.
22.214.171.124 20:40, January 4, 2012 (UTC)
- This wiki really needs to get content up, rather then just modify the current content. Adding abilities, missions or items would be a great help. Suggested pages to look at for help as are follows: Abilites-Underworld Medicine, Missions-Landing Party, Items-Gunrunner's Pistol. If you have any question feel free to leave me a message on my talk page. Scimatt16 21:02, January 4, 2012 (UTC)
I have noticed an increased amount of article vandalism. Would it be possible or even a good idea to make it so any editting has to be logged in to be done as the ones doing the vandalism are always anonymous? Draascus 22:12, January 11, 2012 (UTC)
- I do not know of a way to make it wiki wide, and i also do not think that it has come to that yet. I will protect templates and the like, but if someone is really determined to attack us, making an account will not be a big hinderence. I am currently the primary active admin here, so I have to be vigilant for vandals so I can block them as soon as the start vandalizing. The best thing we can do is keep a level head and just undo their edits and block. Scimatt16 22:47, January 11, 2012 (UTC)
I saw A TON of vandalism a couble days ago, the whole wiki was outta whack, how did you guys fix it?Thecrazyweirdo 04:40, May 31, 2012 (UTC)
First of all banning the responsible users and after that just going through the Recent Changes and reverting all the damages. It takes like an hour or so, but it's relatively easy. Also please sign all your Talk Page posts with four tildes (~~~~) Dosadnik 1 (talk) 18:14, May 29, 2012 (UTC)
I also noticed some vandalism lately, in the form of a couple images I reverted, leaving comments as well. There's probably more around, but in my browsing so far I've just found a couple. Kev-Mas Colcha 06:16, June 6, 2012 (UTC)
- By the way, the two images I found were by Herpded and Icecreamcomb respectively. Kev-Mas Colcha 06:35, June 6, 2012 (UTC)
Dang, what's with all this vandalism lately? Thecrazyweirdo 14:44, June 6, 2012 (UTC)
- Oh this is nothing! :) You should've been around in February. We had to lockdown the whole wiki. Dosadnik 1 (talk) 15:00, June 6, 2012 (UTC)
- Its probably all the Angry WoW Fanboys, or anti-Role Play gamers angry about the game being Role Play friendly. :p Kev-Mas Colcha 19:43, June 6, 2012 (UTC)
SWTOR has launched
Shouldn't we add a "SWTOR has launched" Template to the Front page. I've seen that many game wikis do it. Dosadnik 1 07:26, January 13, 2012 (UTC)
Flashpoints and Operations
Im going to be making alot of edits on the flashpoint and operations pages over the next week or so and I feel like they are important enough to be located on the home page or at least on the Nav bar somewhere. Could an admin please assist me in making this happen? Exiled131 01:26, January 28, 2012 (UTC)
I've noticed that there seems to be a lot of images missing on various pages, see Force lightning for an example. It appears that the missing images was stored in a shared folder for use on other projects and most of them were named filename_TOR. Does anyone know what happened to these images and what to do about it? Sjant 08:05, January 30, 2012 (UTC)
- I think most of the files that ends with _TOR are used by the Wookieepedia, which files we can also use here (that's the shared folder I know, and it only works that we can use their files, but they don't have our files, so if someone their thinks a file is not used he might delete it their and we just lose it here). The German sister project has access to all files here, but I normally upload the files there too to be sure that should something happen here the German project is not affected. - Drudenfusz(diplomacy) 10:16, January 30, 2012 (UTC)
Ahh, okay - thanks for the info... I've found the problem - they renamed the files in the shared folder, "Sith Inquisitor TOR" has for instance been renamed to "SithInquisitor-TOR". Sjant 10:29, January 30, 2012 (UTC)
What kind of wiki is this? Like a game guide or Like an encyclopedia? Thecrazyweirdo 23:45, February 4, 2012 (UTC)
- It is a database for SWTOR, so i guess you can call it an encyclopedia. Dosadnik 1 (talk) 23:55, February 4, 2012 (UTC)
I've added a link to the CWA Wiki under the SWG Wiki one, as it is also based on a Star Wars MMO. I assume that isn't a problem as the main page isn't protected, but if I'm wrong then feel free to remove it. Peltarius 21:21, March 19, 2012 (UTC)
Protect the homepage.
I suggest that in order to prevent multiple acts of vandalism, we lock the homepage for administrators to edit only.
Well there isn't really a need for that since that doesnt happen very often. Everyone should be able to contribute to the homepage i think. That's just me though, I don't know what other people think. Dosadnik 1 (talk) 06:36, May 18, 2013 (UTC)
KOTOR II Portal typo